It’s the perfect season now for bringing out all those lovely soup recipes. Although I’ve never had to wait for a particular time of year to eat some good ol’ Asian-inspired noodle soup! This one is my absolute go-to recipe when I need something hot, tasty and slurpy! It’s very simple and actually very healthy, being low in salt and gluten-free if you use tamari. So go ahead, give this a go and if you want to make it even healthier, try rolling the tofu in breadcrumbs and baking instead of frying.
Makes: Enough for 2
- 1/2 block of firm tofu, pressed and drained and cut into cubes
- Cornflour for rolling tofu in
- 2 servings of your favourite rice noodle
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, quartered
- 4 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- A large piece of fresh ginger, peeled and diced finely
- 1 large bunch choi sum (or your favourite green) chopped finely
- Soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon chilli oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Extra chilli, onions, chopped peanuts, fresh coriander and black sesame seeds for garnish
Pour out some cornflour onto a plate and gently toss the tofu cubes through it so they are coated well. Set aside.
Fill a medium – large pot with around 8 cups of water and set over high heat. To this add in your spring onions, chilli, garlic and ginger and when it comes to the boil, turn the heat down so it is just simmering. Now add the mushrooms. Whilst those flavours are mixing, heat some oil in a frying pan and throw in the tofu cubes. Fry them until they are golden brown on all sides, adding in a dash of soy sauce right at the end. Put to one side.
Now add your noodles to the soup, stir for a minute and then add the chopped choi sum, chilli oil, sesame oil and a little soy sauce. Cook until the noodles are soft.
Distribute noodles between two bowls and pour soup over each. Top with tofu, extra chilli, onions, fresh coriander, chopped peanuts, black sesame seeds and extra chilli oil if you wish. Happy slurping!!