Well actually yes, this DOES taste as good as it looks! When I decided to re-model my site, I knew I’d need to open it with a few really special, delicious recipes that were not too difficult to make and evidently, involved homemade vegan butternut squash cheese! This mac n’ cheese has it all real, it’s got ooey, it’s got gooey and it’s got creamy and it’s got dreamy – if you don’t wanna just put your P J’s on, dive on in and snuggle up to this pot of wonder, well – I don’t think this is the right place for you. Go on, turn around… go.
- 1/2 large butternut squash, roasted and cut into small pieces
- Teaspoon each of onion and garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for and hour
- 3 cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- Dash of oil
- Pasta of your choice, but it’s wonderful with that big ‘elbow’ pasta
- Fresh basil leaves
- Optional – vegan cheese for topping
Blend cashews and a little water. Then add onion and garlic powders and nutritional yeast
Now add in squash and blend. Heat milk and arrowroot together with oil . Now add to blended mixture and blend. Add salt and pepper. Throw into hot pasta and stir through handful of vegan cheese (if using). Place under medium grill under slightly golden. Enjoy!